Sunday, March 24, 2013

Husband Prayers



I am praying for my husband.  Not selfish prayers- for my benefit, but hopeful prayers- for his benefit.

I am praying that God develops in him the qualities that He wants. I have a few ideas, but ultimately I want God to mold and shape him into what he laid out at the foundations of creation.

I pray for courage and confidence to flourish and take root inside a man who has come to the brink of emotional and spiritual destruction at the hands of a self inflicted addiction. I pray for God to show Himself as the God of second chances and victory. Healing and redemption are gifts waiting to be given with divine anticipation and gracious love. I pray for freedom from old habits and patterns of thinking that lead to self deception and foothold lies.

Honesty and humility are the twin sisters of courage and confidence. He will need courage to be honest and a Christ empowered inner-confidence to drive the wisdom behind humilityHonesty to live in the light and fully engage the sin nature he fights against. He is a new creature. The old has gone. The new has come. God grant him the grace and strength to grow into his new skin. 

Humility to stay in that awareness that we are but dust and by God’s grace He allows us to change, grow and minister to others. Humility that at any moment, without full dependence on Christ, we can make choices that destroy years of progress and healing.

I pray God leads him on a path that intersects with the paths of others he can benefit from; others who will speak truth and wisdom into his life.  I pray he has ears to hear his Shepherd and desires to follow His directions. I pray he has eyes to see the hand of his Savior moving in his life throughout the day and be encouraged. I pray his heart is bowed low before his God in humble submission to his will at all times. I pray he is willing to keep doing the hard work, the gut wrenching, brutally honest, soul surgery before his Creator that is mind-blowing and painful in the moment, but spiritually transformative for Kingdom purposes. God has such a great plan for all of us but can work mightily through those who take on courage from the power of God, maintain confidence in what Christ can do through them, remain honest about their own depravity and keep humble in their total need for a Savior.   

If my husband stays right before God he will become the husband I need as well as the father our children need. I can pray toward that end.

A few scriptures to pray for our husbands:

“I thank my God every time I remember you.” Philippians 1:4

“…being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 1:6

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” II Corinthians 5:17

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”  I Peter 5:7,8

“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.” I Corinthians 16:13,14

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”  Ephesians 6:10-12



If you have enjoyed this blog post you can subscribe to future posts by submitting your email address in the "Follow by Email" option in the upper right corner of the blog homepage. Thank you for your encouragement! 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Sue! An important reminder to not just pray but pray selflessly for our husbands! I'm subscribing! - Amy Corlett (who cannot remember her Google account info)

    ReplyDelete